Thursday, May 5, 2011

I am an atheist

I am an atheist. I do not believe in God or a god, or gods, or a some kind of "supreme being" "higher power" or "higher intelligence" or "spirits". I believe in nothing beyond the provable scientific realm. I worship nothing, praise nothing, I do not meditate or think upon the supernatural in any way. I am an atheist.

My existence is accidental, as is the existence of every living thing on this planet, as is even the existence of the universe itself. I'm here by natural selection and an evolutionary chance that could have easily not happened as it did happen. My conception was chance, my birth was chance, and my moment-by-moment survival is also by chance. I could die a meaningless and unpredictable death at any moment. There is no real purpose for me being here. It was not planned from all eternity that I live, nor was any special favor given to me to have what I have and know what I know. I am a mass of tissue and cells that by impersonal evolutionary chance possesses sentience.

Yet, while in this life, I have a sense of justice, rightness, and fairness. I long to make a difference, contribute to humanity, and be significant. I'm not content to simply eat, drink and be merry. I spend my days perhaps doing research, trying to understand the universe that purposelessly gave birth to me and will one day purposelessly take my life. I maybe write books, give speeches, and mock others who disagree with me, stuck in the "dark ages" unworthy of enlightened age in which we all live. I nobly attempt to make some supposed positive impact on the world, on the mass of humanity that has also come from nothing and will go to nothing. I seek to better a world that is ultimately doomed to share the fate of a universe that will one day burn out and also become nothing.

One day I will die. The universe will get the last laugh. I will be robbed of the consciousness and sentience that were given to me by chance. I will not care, no know, not perceive anything once I am dead. I will be no more, and will not care. All of my life's work will be done, and all that will remain will be what I have laid down for posterity's sake. Perhaps my writings and lectures will exist for a time on shelves and computers and other forms of digital media. But ultimately, one day, I will be all but completely forgotten. Sure, may name may carry on in some fashion for centuries to come, yet all who have loved me, cared for me, and have been dear to me will also be gone. At best I will be a footnote in some future dissertation of some individual who also by evolutionary chance exists, and who will also die and become nothing.

This is my life. This is what I believe. I mock you for believing otherwise, for being so foolish as to not believe that we meaninglessly came into existence by chance, and we will all one day perish to oblivion, and that somehow in between we are to find significance. I scorn your belief in the Unseen Wisdom, Purpose of Hope for eternity. My desire is that you would see how foolish your beliefs are and agree with me, so that you may come to know the joys of this brief span of significance we call life before you die and fade into nothing.

7 comments:

Kevin Sorensen said...

Welcome to my bleak existence.


How sad, how sad. Is it any wonder the Scriptures say, "The fool says in his heart, 'There is no God.'"?

Jim Pemberton said...

[channeling an atheist spirit:]

"I see what you're doing there! You're mocking atheists like me! We don't actually believe... well, I guess we do believe all that... but that's beside the point!

"I need my delusions of significance. It's an evolutionary adaptation! Without it, I have no hope that... well, there's no real hope anyway... but... but... it makes me feel good to think that I matter in some way!

"It's you stupid theists who are hopeless! Because if you're right, I'm doomed to die... well, I am going to die anyway... but you're going to die too! How do I know that?

"...well...uh...

"...because we can't really know for sure, so I'm right!"

Anonymous said...

Hello darkness, my old friend; I've come to talk with you again....

Truth Unites... and Divides said...

You fooled me.

I thought this was a genuine atheist blog with a genuine atheist post.

I only figured I've been had when I looked at your blogroll.

B Nettles said...

You forgot to talk about how important it is for us, as atheists, to protect children because they are innocent. Never mind that we don't know what innocence really means, but in some random way it's significant. Oh, I know: children are the future of the species. Only the powerfully protected survive.

Penn Tomassetti said...

The scientific truth about atheism.

Bob said...

For the sake of the children, we have to keep non-thinking Bible-thumpers from spewing their heretical ideas. (Atheism seems a bit too ... uh ... religious -- doesn't it? )